Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Flax seed Meal Tortillas

I looked the internet over for this recipe, I had to dig deep and I'm not even sure now where I found this recipe. Most of them called for store bought tortillas and then bake them for chips. Well this one is from scratch and is no carb at all. The dietary fiber count is 3.5 grams and the carb count is 3.5 grams so it is a zero net carb shell.

Flaxseed Meal Tortillas

2 eggs, beaten
3 Tbs. flaxseed meal
1 Tbs. psyllium husks
1 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
pinch of any seasoning you want:
onion powder, garlic powder, dried chives
water..if you need it

Mix all the above ingredients together.Let set for about 5 minutes. It should be like pancake batter..If it gets too thick, then add some water.

Then spread a couple of Tbs. on some parchment paper
on a microsafe plate and make a large circle..pretty thin.

Microwave it for 1 minute or so..Then peel off.


Now a word of caution, these shells do not peel off the paper easily AT ALL. I gave up doing them in the microwave and used a cast iron skillet with olive oil. It worked perfectly. There is a t
rick to getting the batter spread, but I found a spatula worked best for me. Also I added one step and made tortilla chips to use for guacamole dip, a Greek yogurt dip recipe or whatever other dip you choose. 


I cut the tortillas in eight pizza shaped pieces and baked in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes. They were pretty good, but you have to eat them in one sitting or put them back in the oven to crisp back up.

I wanted to post this before the shrimp tacos because the tortilla shell is great to use and you will get zero carbs from the shell, you can buy the low carb shells if you prefer for that recipe. It will follow soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment